Whether you are dual-booting or not, you have to do the following steps to make RoM run.
Runes of Magic requires the MS Visual C++ 2005 sp1 libraries to run. Installation is simple, so do not worry about it.
- First of all, you need to install the POL Helper plugin. Click the link (it will open in a new window/tab) and follow the instructions I wrote just for you then come back here.
- Now open PlayOnLinux (Applications -> Other -> PlayOnLinux)
- Go to the ‘Plugins Menu’ and choose ‘POL Helper’
- In the POL Helper window, click on ‘winetricks’ and select ‘To POL Launcher’
- Click on the ‘Open Folder Icon’ and choose ‘RunesOfMagic’
- Then click on the button ‘run winetricks’ and a new window will appear
- Look for the package ‘vcrun2005′, check it, then click the ‘OK’ button
- Follow the instructions
- Then close all the windows
WINE Registry Edits
- Open PlayOnLinux (Applications -> Other -> PlayOnLinux)
- Select the entry ‘Runes of Magic’ and click the ‘Configure this application’ button
- Click the ‘Forward’ button
- Select ‘Registry Editor’ then click ‘Forward’
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Wine
- Right click on the folder/key ‘Wine’, select ‘New’ then ‘Key’
- Name the newly created folder/key
- Select the ‘Direct3D’ folder/key
- Right click on the empty space, select ‘New’ then ‘String Value’
- Name the newly created string value
- Right click on ‘UseGLSL’ and select ‘Modify’
- Select ‘Configure wine’ then click ‘Forward’
- Go to the ‘Graphics’ tab
- Under the ‘Window Settings’ group, be sure that the checkbox ‘Allow the window manager to control the windows’ is the only one checked.
- Under the ‘Direct3D’ group, select the ‘Hardware’ option as your ‘Vertex Shader Support’
- Still in the same group, check the box ‘Allow Pixel Shader (if supported by hardware)’
- Go to the ‘Audio’ tab
- Be sure that the only checked entry is ‘ALSA Driver’
- Under the ‘DirectSound’ group, choose ‘Full’ for ‘Hardware Acceleration’
- Then check the box ‘Driver Emulation’ (note: the latest version of WINE do not have this setting)
- Click the ‘Ok’ button
- You should be back to the PlayOnLinux Wizard for ‘Runes of Magic’
- Select ‘Simulate Windows reboot’ and click ‘Forward’
- After which, simply click ‘Cancel’ to close the wizard window
Ubuntu Configuration Editor (gconf) edits
Finally, this last instruction is to prevent Ubuntu from taking over your PrintScreen key and ALT+mouse combination.
- Go to Applications -> System Tools -> Configuration Editor; or simply Press ALT+F2 and type
- Go to /apps/metacity/global_keybindings
- Look for key name
run_command_screenshotand change its value to whatever you are comfortable with (I use
- Go to /apps/metacity/general
- Look for the key name
mouse_button_modifierand change its value to whatever you are comfortable with (note: be sure you put a value! I use
Go run Runes of Magic and enjoy the game.
Oh, everytime you see that error dialog above just click ‘Cancel’. It only shows up once every client (re)-start, a minor inconvenience really.
If you need additional help, please post your questions in detail here: gameshogun forums