Time to dust off your Friendster accounts! Welcome the new Friendster! South-East Asia’s social discovery and gaming platform, which offers users a unique experience which combines search, content discovery, and social functionalities. And that’s just the beginning…
In 2002, the world was introduced to a site that literally brought the online community closer. The initiation of Friendster created a new culture where users went to the share photos, videos, and connect with one another, virtually. In 2009, Friendster was acquired by Asia’s leading e-payment and e-lifestyle provider - MOL Global Pte. Ltd. ("MOL"), to become the region’s largest online community.
Ganesh Kumar Bangah, MOL Group Chief Executive Officer said, “by leveraging on Friendster’s strongest asset in the form of its millions of users and harnessing MOL’s strength as a e-payments and content distributer, we were able to successfully redesign Friendster to become a social discovery and gaming platform, host to the largest online community in Southeast Asia.”
“Friendster is focused on the social gaming community", said Mikhail Nikolai Galicia, Friendster Chief Operating Officer, during the QnA session. What we see today is only the initial layer, Friendster is a community where people can access different kinds of games.
Expect to see the offerings of the company to extend to other platforms, like Android, which showed a bigger growth in the mobile industry as compared to other mobile operating systems. The company is also already on the road to tapping the power and potential of HTML5 for gaming, something the gurus has been championing for some time.
What’s new with Friendster?
- Innovative and user-friendly interface
- Selections of avatars to suit your personas
- Chat with existing and new friends via the Friendster Chat Application while playing games on Friendster
- Over 50 online games from eight different genre like role-playing, strategy, simulations, and card games
- Earn rewards through points for every activity within the site including adding friends, engaging with friends, daily log-in or playing any game
- Simple, easy-to-obtain virtual currency that can be used to purchase virtual goods, online games, and applications in a safe and convenient manner
Gamers, what are you waiting for? Go login to your Friendster account now! But if for whatever reason you can not remember your old account, or you just want to try out the platform first, you can! Friendster offers guest access to their games so you can jump right in and join the fun.
Then you can save your progress by choosing one of the following:
- register a new account
- login with an existing account
- login with your Facebook account
If you do that, you can create two avatar profiles. One for your closest of friends, and another for the public (or your bosses who you do not want to have any evidence of you playing games during work hours).
Friendster’s website hasn’t change but don’t be fooled, it’s better than ever! Visit www.friendster.com and see you in-game!
The press launch event was hosted by, no other than, Ashley Gosiengfiao.
Add me: jcsesecuneta.
The photos are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Camera: Samsung GT-S5360 (”Galaxy Y“), 1600x1200.